Peer Pals Logo Image for Property Tax Reduction Consultants

Property Tax Reduction Consultants

(516) 484-0654 or (631) 484-0654 | info@ptrc.comCall Us!

P.T.R.C., Inc. was a proud sponsor again this year at the October 15th, 2017 walk at Jones Beach. We appreciate everyone who came down and participated as we walked for a world without Breast Cancer.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is property tax grievance?

A property tax grievance is a formal complaint against the assessed value of your property.

There are two levels of formal review:

Administrative review (BAR or ARC) - the "grievance" process is conducted at the municipal level

Judicial review (SCAR) - In order to pursue judicial review (SCAR) you must first go through administrative review, the state currently imposes a $30.00 filing fee for each case.

What is a property tax assessment?

Your property's assessment is one of the factors used by your local governments and school district to determine the amount of your property taxes. A property's assessment is based on its market value. Market value is how much a property would sell for under normal conditions.

What is market value?

The price at which a property would sell if offered for sale under ordinary circumstances. Market value is usually determined by comparison with similar homes.

What determines the amount of a Property Tax Bill?

You can calculate the amount you pay in property taxes by multiplying your property's assessment (your assessment minus any exemptions) X the tax rates for school districts, municipalities, counties and special districts.

Your tax bill can change each year due to changes in school district or local government:

-total assessed value
-tax rates

Changes in your assessment or exemptions can also impact your tax bill.

Property tax bills

Tax bill calendars differ in some downstate counties, as well as some cities.

Rather than receiving tax bills, those who have their property taxes held in escrow receive receipts.

Why Do Taxes Go Up Every Year?

Your property taxes (assessment) which appear on your tax bill, are multiplied by the tax rate to determine what you pay in taxes. Tax rates generally increase every year, so even if your assessment remains unchanged, your taxes increase.

What Can I Do about This?

As a homeowner, you are entitled to file a Property Tax Grievance. A Property Tax Grievance allows your assessment to be reviewed by the Assessor to see if a reduction is warranted. If the Assessor does not reduce your assessment, an appeal can be filed to have an impartial hearing officer determine if your house is overvalued for tax purposes.

When is filing time?

Nassau - Jan 1st - March 1st
Suffolk - May 1st - May 15th

What if I live in an incorporated village?

Most village's use their own assessment rolls for village taxes and require a separate filing should you want to grieve their taxes.

Who may sign the application form?

The owner, other applicant-taxpayer, or a representative who has the applicant's written authorization.

Can I apply on my own?

Yes. Most homeowners are unprepared and unaware of the information and evidence needed to successfully represent themselves for a property tax hearing. With years of experience and the highest technology, P.T.R.C. Inc. can be your answer.

What if my request is turned down?

Your property taxes will remain unchanged. There are no penalties, and you can file again next year if you choose.

What Is The Cost If I Do Win a Property Tax Reduction?

If you win a property tax reduction, our fee is a percentage of the first year of savings. If your case goes to SCAR, you may incur a state imposed filing fee (currently $30.00) and Suffolk homeowners may have a $75.00 CMA fee. Tax savings in subsequent years are entirely yours. IF THERE IS NO REDUCTION, WE DO NOT CHARGE A FEE.

How Long Is The Grievance Process?

The grievance process is a long one. It could take 18 months from beginning to end. However, regardless of when your case is settled, the results will always be retroactive to the beginning of the tax year for which you filed your property tax grievance.

Call our office at 484-0654 and we will be glad to answer any additional questions.